Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Spring 2016 makeup for a 50s fashionista

Spring is my favorite time of year!  It is all about new beginnings, flowers peaking out of the soil to reach the warm beams of the sun, and, of course, it is my birthday (I turn 55 on April 18th).  Granted,  I am  a bit biased.

One of the things I like to write about on Meanderings are interests based on being a 50s fashionista (or wannabe) grappling with the challenge that we shouldn't try to dress like our 20-something daughters, nor should we age before our time with our mother's elderly good looks.

Then we have to toss in our body types, and any of the challenges we may have to adapt to changes happening.

"Aging gracefully is one thing, but trying to slow it down is another." 
                             ~Courteney Cox

Nothing says that we can't embrace bright colors, florals, patterns or hip looks, we just have to make sure it suits us.  We should be able to understand what makes us feel good :: and that usually goes hand in hand with makeup and beauty.

One thing I'm proud of is I come from great stock :: both my parents always look/ed years younger.  So I really appreciate it when the youngsters tell me I look like I'm in my late 30s or early 40s :: I think it all comes down to what I said :: finding your zone in beauty and fashion, and being able to pull it off.

At 4 ft 11, or rounded up to 5 ft, you're right to think that I would have fashion challenges of my own.  I've always liked the "chic" look and try to stay true to that.  So, to help others, I will share what I have adopted as my own Spring 2016 look.

It all starts with the eyes.  Studies say that people usually are drawn to the eyes first.  I was blessed with green ones and tend to focus on that wonderful feature.  I don't go for the dramatic eyeliner and you've already read about my lash extensions drama. I just happen to have taken a photo of my eyes just for this emphasis.



Go ahead and laugh at my creative license :: fooling around in Microsoft Paint is fun!  I use a moisturizer to start always after cleansing.  Having sensitive skin, I have learned that I have to stick with something that works because when I try something new, too rich in oils or perfumes, I break out.  (There goes the myth that you don't break out in zits once you pass menopause).  I rely on my fail-safe Oil of Olay for sensitive skin:


To define my basic look, I do sponge off of magazines and beauty counters for inspiration.  It isn't that difficult to find nude colors this spring :: it is everywhere.  I'm chomping at the bit to try Urban Decay after watching an INC. video interview of Sandy Lerner, founder of Oracle.  (I want to do a blog about redoing her look with a few modifications so that she gives up that 70s look that she seems to be holding on to).


I have already gravitated to nude as my eye base color for the simple reason that it brings out the green color of my eyes.  I would think it would suit any gal in her 50s.  (HINT :: just because you've survived menopause doesn't mean you should boycott makeup!)

I always use the lightest of light tones for my eyebrow bone (far left) and then a soft, lighter color for the lid (right in the middle).  I have the heaviest hand on the lid because I don't want it to fade as the day progresses.  I find that eye makeup with a bit of frost to it tends to adhere to the skin more successfully.  I define the upper lid with a muted softer yet darker tone for definition (7 from left).  Then it is mascara, mascara and more mascara.  
We can still learn from the young.  My stepdaughter always has thick lashes that seems to coat the mascara on.  My lashes are longer and finer, so I can avoid that thick, clumped on look.  I still swear by my recent discovery ::  L'Oreal's two step mascara :: a white base, then a black mascara :: when that dries, I then apply my Clinique mascara, followed by the butterfly effect mascara by Maybelline.  This has been from trial and error repeatedly to find something that works.  My makeup regime takes 5-10 minutes at most.



However, let me not forget the crowning glory of eyebrow brushing to finish for a polished look.  Given I have lighter eyebrows, it is a must for me.  I do battle with the temptation of fake lines and heavy handedness.  Instead, I use a complimenting eyebrow liner to give distinction, it closely matches the color of the eyebrow mascara :: MAC is the best I'm convinced.   Au natural is my focus.


When too much is just too much.


Yes, some ladies think this doll looks good??

Safe to say :: I am not battling my age :: I am glorifying my God given gifts and attempting to show that you can be both subtle and classy.  I'm not a fan of heavily caked on makeup that screams defying age tactics.  If it works for other gals, it is fine for me.



I almost forgot ::  the lipstick!!  It is the final touch to your canvass.  I absolutely adore my latest find :: Colorblur by Maybelline's "lipstudio" ::


Two colors I have already :: one for evening and one for Spring days.
A liner, lipstick and sealer all in one in an array of spring colors.

This discovery is fantastic.  You put it on and it lasts for hours, even while drinking coffee!

 If you have to insist on the old fashioned way, I did find among Google's treasure trove, instructions on how to properly do your lipstick.  (Seems like a lot of work to me now that I've found utopia with Colorblur) ::



Here is an ode to mature beauties who are hitting their stride while maintaining status as beauty icons, embracing their 50s in 2016::


Robin Wright celebrated her 50th birthday April 8th


Janet Jackson turns 50 on May 16th
Halle Berry turns 50 on August 16th


Salma Hayek turns 50 on September 2
There you have it :: style mavericks who are still dancing to their own drum.  What do they all have in common?  To me, they're not disguising their age nor are they caking on the makeup or trying tricks or the latest tactics :: they seem to know what works for them and stick to with it.  They appear graceful and poised :: ready to take on the next decade.

"Stop whining about getting old.  It's a privilege."                               
                                                                     ~Amy Poehler






No comments:

Post a Comment