Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fresh is a good look on anyone


"A girl should be two things:  classy & fabulous"
~Coco Chanel
 
 
 
 
Yesterday I was in the mood to explore - find a flea market, garage sale or second hand shop.  Instead, I got as far as a Drug Mart.  You can't even get into the store itself without being sequestered into the beauty department with a young gal who had probably not see the light of 20 yet.  That was okay, because I needed a new foundation and was in a patient mood to be a guinea pig to find one.  It had to complement my combination, sensitive skin, and avoid a break out.
 
 
I did find a few things I thought I would share ... you'll notice I strayed from my original purchase a few times.  That's normal for women in a drug store.  Going in, with one intention and coming out with over a hundred dollars worth of "necessities" extra.  The secret is to bring along a large purse so they aren't carried in with the groceries by your husband.
 
I did say I was in the mood to explore.  So explore I did.  I actually liked the intimacy of this beauty concept over going to a big department store where the girls are trying to trap you into trying either a new perfume or makeover.  There was no crowd.  Just me and this ivory skinned beauty who only had on a great foundation and well manicured lashes.  Freshness in all its glory that has been behind me for a few years. 
 
Now that I hit my 50s, it doesn't mean I don't like a clean fresh look.  There is nothing worse than seeing a much older lady plastered with makeup, lip liner that is four shades darker than her lipstick with a Marilyn Monroe wannabe look, puffy hair and claws that just seem to irritate the hell out of me when I see it.  Nor does san makeup imply you take yourself seriously on the inside out.  You can be classy.
 
I must have tried at least 8 different foundations with my beauty guardian at my side, patient and helpful.  I hit eureka with a great combination compact by Clinique.  It glides on like a second skin while evening out the tones and not cracking with my smile lines (words for wrinkles).  It includes SPF 15 and comes in an elegant case with mirror and sponge. ($32 U.S.)


Described by Clinique as: A light cream with a powdery finish, our compact makeup creates more even-toned skin, instantly. Shades for Very Fair, Moderately Fair, Medium, Deep. 
 
You can check out their website to see more reviews like these ones:
 

 You cant tell that I even have make up on because it looks so natural - yet it covers flaws! Love this stuff :)
 
 
 
 I love the way it evens my complexion out and lasts all day 
 
 
Since I had found a terrific foundation, I got into the groove and asked my beauty guide on her suggestions for a concealer.  Concealer can be a battle for any woman who shows laugh lines (aka wrinkles) or having trouble with sleep patterns brought on by menopause resulting in dark circles as a curse.  They can be amplified when you try to put on a concealer that fills in on the cracks of expression lines (aka wrinkles) or too light they make you look like you were in the sun with sunglasses on because of the stark contrast around the eyes and the rest of your face.
 
My first purchase was not too expensive, however, it did indicate that quality is important to me (neither was it apparent that she could remotely relate to dark circles). You'd think that the beautician may hunker down in her territory. She didn't.  She came back with a duo concealer from Physician's Formula called "Concealer Twins 2 in 1 Correct and Cover Cream Concealer" ($11.99 U.S.)
 
 
If you're like me and always wondered what the difference is  between the colors for concealers their website suggests:
  • Yellow hides dark under-eye circles and other bluish skin discolorations
  • Green corrects red blemishes and scars.
  • Light covers yellow and any minor skin imperfections
 
 
Heck, what'd-you-know!
 
Sounds like I am a schizophrenic shopper?  Yes, at least easily distracted in the beauty department.  I had really got into the swing of things: squirting perfumes randomly (I do have a rule that I don't buy a perfume the same time I try it.  I like to see how the aroma lingers with my natural scent).   My  graceful guardian glided over to perfumes to share one of the season's biggest hits:  Narciso Rodgrues for Her
 
 
Experts suggest that you shouldn't try on any more than 3 perfumes and often there are coffee beans to sniff in between to avoid blending fragrance.  You are often given a clever marketing tool of a slip of paper with the brand and perfume sprayed on.  I let my nose tell me later on.  The scent that is memorable is the one that will complement my own aroma.

 
 
The winner, not really a surprise, as I lean towards being a fan of Chanel (how can you tell?) was "Chance".    Chanel's description for the $97 U.S. 3.4 FL.OZ. Eau de Toilette:

It's your chance . . . TAKE IT! A decidedly young scent for those who dare to dream. A light, subtly sensual fragrance, filled with vitality and energy, evolves from one moment to the next, each wholly unique.

 
 
 
Pretty much described how I wanted perfume to transform me.  I did leave the scent behind even though it lingers today -- I will definitely be going back to my beauty cupid and buy it this weekend.  (With more treasures perhaps?)
 
 
Lipstick was next.  I was looking for something that wasn't too red or pink.  More along the lines of coral.  I outdid myself trying on just about every product and hit lipstick heaven with Shiseido's "Temptress"  ($25 U.S.).  Ha! What a name.  Not only that, it slid on my lips so wonderfully you could tell that it was packed with moisturizer. 
 
Being of the older fashionista variety, moisturizing lipstick is a must.  If lipstick tends to bleed on you, like me, a matching lip liner is helpful.  Just don't be a dunce and have your lip liner too many shades darker because everyone can tell it is a poor attempt at looking like you have fuller lips.  A medium tone can do that naturally. 
 
Doing the background on this blog, I did read the reviews on Shiseido which were not perfect.  Many, like me, adored the moisturizing effect.  Unfortunately, they often said that it wears off easily.  Other's suggested wearing it as a gloss over another lipstick.  I'm sure there are cheaper lip glosses out there.
 
Another thing I learned while going to the various sites: they have discounts and coupons along with the reviews, of course.  Then again, doing the research beforehand takes a lot of the impulsive-out-of-shopping-for-cosmetics and trying them on experience.  On the other hand, if you combine the two, trying on and going to the brand website, you can surf for coupons, free shipping, on your own.
 
Bethany Hamilton
 
 
I do recommend you pay for your goodies at the beauty counter.  You will help your goddess be credited for the sale (not all have establishments pay commission yet often have performance metrics).  I boldly asked for any samples "since I had made a substantial purchase" on a quiet day.  She bundled me up with a cute tasseled Chloe cosmetic bag to host my new treasures (and hide the expenditure from hubby).  Along with that, she tucked in a purse size Narciso Rodriguez for Her.  Smart girl.  Not only was the perfume going to linger, the pleasant experience will now too.
 
I had also bought some Clinique mascara that is promoted for lash growth as a result of my Eyelash Extension adventure (more like nightmare).  I'll write about how good the magical mascara is along with an eyebrow cosmetic another time.  I've got a few chores to do to make up for the guilty escape.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment